Sunday, 20 January 2008

Wall to Wall

Yes, the highlight of last week, for me, was WALL TO WALL kids in my living room. Movie night at the Fath's with my IB1's was initiated and it was such a joy for me to have these young people whom I like so much welcomed into my home to fill it with their laughter and just their presence.

It was a little lesson for me in small miracles too...

I'd been thinking about purchasing a projector for my computer so that I could show presentations like Power Points and movies, and much to my frustration, had been roadblocked for this Friday anyways. Shopping around for the 'best quality, lowest price' had left me into January and then the one I was planning to buy had been purchased so another one was on order for me and to arrive on Wednesday. It didn't. Then it was going to be picked up in Bloemfontein and back by Friday at 2:00. It wasn't. Feeling very disappointed in losing my BIG SCREEN concept, I checked around. Who else would have one? I was directed to another computer store, whereupon I was pleased to find one, only to be told it was M1,000. more. No thanks....BUT they had one for hire. For rent? Yes. How much? A price I was willing to pay.

Wendy was the lady I was directed to, to talk about the hire. Hmmm...another Wendy in Lesotho. How about that! By the time I was through attaching my computer to make sure everything was working okay and chatting with Wendy, the price for rental? FREE! Wendy's are really nice, hey?! Well, this one sure was.

To me it was just a lovely affirmation that this crazy, and fraught with complications plan to have my students over was GOOD.

And it WAS good. Most of this students are boarders, and boarding school is a pretty meager and dull existence so the students enjoy getting out. For me it's just a great opportunity to build into the lives of some very fine people.

We watched The Hurricane, the story of Rubin Carter and REALLY, for me, the story of Lesra Martin. The thing I love about the story is that it speaks about how caring about others and CHOOSING to make a difference in their lives can have significant and long-reaching impacts. Lesra started his life in the home of alcoholic parents and was virtually illiterate when he was met by the Canadians who took him into their home and gave him a 'hand up'. Meanwhile, Rubin Carter was in an even more hopeless situation, in prison for murder, having already served 16 years when Lesra entered his life. The course of events that unfolded led to Carter's release from prison and to Lesra becoming the lawyer he'd dreamed of being.

In fact, I met Lesra Martin last year at our Alberta Teacher's Convention, shook his hand and talked to him briefly. It was a real pleasure, because he is one of my heroes when I think about how young people CAN make a difference.

No comments: