Fall has fully arrived in Lesotho. (Though the locals might correct me and say winter has arrived.)
The grass has ripened, turning the hills and mountains rusty brown. I do miss the golden copses of poplar or birch found in Alberta. The leaves here don’t really turn colour, most of them just wither, turn brown, and fall.
Many months ago I mentioned that “winter” here is like endless Indian summer. It is wonderful. I am enjoying the crisp cool mornings, often with frost on the ground, though the last week has been unseasonably warm. The morning air is clear and the hills and mountains are sharp against the bright blue skies. The days are warm and sunny. I love it. When the wind blows it can bite a bit, but add a jacket and life is good.
Inside, … well that is the other story. Like when we first arrived, I am again carrying extra layers to put on when inside. It seems that the masonry the buildings are made of holds the night time cold. The extra layers are necessary to keep the cold at bay when inside. But at home, our winter coal supply has arrived and we so enjoy the warmth our little heater provides. While putting on an extra layer or wrapping up in a blanket is essential when I am at work, not so sitting in front of the fire at home.
And the cool, crisp, and sunny days are an invitation to get out and explore. Last Sunday it was off to explore a rugged cliff face.
But the top is so unlike the narrow ridges in my Rocky Mountain experience. Yes, the tower was a narrow outcrop, but up a short climb opposite it was a gently undulating plain dotted with herd boys and their sheep.
On our way down we came upon a sheepfold and the simple shelter where the herdboys spend their nights.
Fall, winter. If it stays like this, l could almost find myself wanting to spend a bit more time in this part of our world.
~ Benno ~






No comments:
Post a Comment