Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Sports

Being topsy turvey ‘down’ here does not reflect just the seasons, though my whole body and mind still says it is August even though the calendar says February. (The days are getting shorter, and the heat of the summer is giving way to the cool of fall). But, 'down' here another adjustment relates to the world of sports.

For those of you who have been following international cricket, you know that the South African National Cricket team recently returned home from Australia having soundly defeated the Aussies to claim the number one ranking in the cricket world. At Beautiful Gate I work with both Aussies and South Africans, so it is hard to remain oblivious to the goings on in the world of cricket. Having just won the World Cup of Rugby last year and now ranked #1 in Cricket the South Africans are on the verge of becoming unbearable.

Needless to say, I am learning a bit about cricket and now know the difference between a Test Match, a ODI*, and a Twenty20 cricket competition. I also know what an ‘over’ is. Such as, in a Test Match there are as many overs as required to complete an inning, whereas in a Twenty20 match, the match is completed after each team bowles 20 overs. There are even ‘maiden overs’. I also know what an ‘lbw’ is, though the ruling of a lbw can be rather complex. Among the many things I still need to learn, is what exactly the ‘stump’ is, and where the ‘3rd slip’ plays.

And while most Canadians may know even less about cricket than I, it was apparently not always so. Let it be known to all trivia buffs that the first ever international cricket match was played between “CANADA” and the United States, obviously in some year long before hockey was even invented. (It must have been a team from Upper or Lower Canada as the match was played prior to 1867.)

But now that we have entered the height of the curling season I have the shinny on my colleagues. I know what the hack is, a freeze, a raise, a runback, even what a port is. Sadly, they seem less enamored than I by the intricacies of throwing a granite stone down a sheet of ice, and are getting pumped for the next round of cricket. Late last week the Aussies landed in Johannesburg, bent on reclaiming their #1 world ranking.

Oh well, while in Rome do as the Romans do. So, while I am keeping one eye on CurlCAST, tracking up to the minute results in curling, I am also anticipating taking in an ODI in Jo’burg. In April, I may be heading to Jo’burg with a number of guys to take in a match between the Aussies and South Africans. Will my world ever be the same??

~ Benno ~

* ODI - A One Day International match comprised of 50 overs per team.

No comments: