Tuesday, 10 August 2010

Mariha

Mariha - winter. Mariha is getting its last bite of the season in. We have been having very nice weather, but a cold front blew in early this week, winter's last blast. We had just returned from a short trip to South Africa and Swaziland where it was even warmer. We arrived home to a forecast that said cold was on the way.

Now, our nice coal heater had left us. Its owners had returned from the U.S., and with three little children, including a three month old baby, they needed it more in their new house than we. So we would be using electic heaters for the last few weeks of winter. With the cold front forecast I headed out to stock up on electricity units. Ah, my surprize and dismay to learn that while we were on vacation the electricity company had been advertizing forthcoming upgrades to its vending system and that no electricity would be sold from Aug. 6-8. Just back from vacation we had enough units to easily cover a week or more of regular use, but electric heaters eat a lot of electricity. We would be able to use them only sparingly until we could but more units. It would be a cold few days, but rather an extra layer or two than to be without hot water or lights.

A day or so later, the folks who had taken their coal heater kindly lent us a propane heater. Ah, welcome heat, though I knew my propane tank was low. On the coldest morning of the last four weeks it all came together. We had went out to buy electicity units, but the new system was down. Now, on that cold morning the propane ran out. Aeeii, it was a cold morning in the house. Staying snuggled under that extra blanket was where I would have liked to stay. BUT we did have hot water, and still enough electricity units for the basics for another few days. As well, the local corner store was open early so I was able to pick up propane. In addition, I am sure the new vending system will be up later today. We will be warmer and more comfortable soon enough.

This brief experience has again reminded me of how blessed we have been here. For most of the winter we had the coal heater which made our house so comfortable. I was also reminded of what is normal for our Basotho friends. Every morning they get up to no heat, very often no electric lights, and no hot water. In a cold house they get up and light a candle or lamp. Next is to light a paraffin heater to warm water to bathe. This is the routine for each of our girls in the Mustard Seed program, and sometimes there is no parrafin to heat the water. Yes, my life is so comfortable and I have so much to be grateful for, ... even in mariha.

For those interested, I will post a travelogue on our trip in the next week or so.

~ Benno ~

No comments: