Ho haha - 'to build', in Sesotho. Something I though I might never do was build a house, but I have had the joy of seeing a little house built for Ausi Moselentja, the young girl whose house was flooded, whose family and life was split between a number of neighbors. I have written about her situation before, and now I can provide a delightful update.
In writing about our life in Lesotho, surrounded by so much need, I try not to specifically solicit support for projects or situations. So when funds do come, it must be God. That is what has happened with the house for Moselentja. A person here in Lesotho was aware of her need, and that started the process. There was a time when the funds committed would barely get the house built, but as an organization the Mustard Seed decided we would proceed and then other funds came in. The last donation truly was God reminding me that he is our provider.
I was writing a letter. I was sharing about Moselentja's house and though at that time we had enough funds to build the house, there were no funds for extras like painting the interior and having the city water brought on to her site. I wanted to hint in my letter that it would be nice to be able to do that for Moselentja, but the little promptings in the recesses of my mind said not to. So I didn't. The very next day I received an e-mail from friends saying they were sending some funds to use as we chose, but they then suggested maybe the funds could be used to add a few extras for Moselentja's house. God had truly provided.

The building site. Unfortunately Moselentja's garden had to go.

The old hut that would come down.
The preparations began in August, getting materials quotes, and lining up the workers. First was to bring down an old hut on the site and the initial materials were paid for and delivered on August 17. Then we were delayed about a week waiting for the bricks to be made, but by the end of August we were under way.

Laying the foundation.
We hit a snag when one of our workman, a small time contractor, was offered a contract elsewhere. I like to think that God blessed him. Even, though he had not been working, he had a tough time coming on board with our little project at the rates we could pay him. But he said he would do it for the sake of helping an orphan family. Well, just after they got the floor poured he received a contract offer to do painting at the new national hospital being built (another story for another entry). There he has about three months of work for him and about seven other men from his community.

The walls going up.
That left us with our friend Ntate Kuena, the helper, not the trained builder, but he struggled along for a couple of days on his own, and then God provided again. Through our new staff member, some unemployed, but accomplished builders, offered to assist. Up went that little house. They even asked to do the painting, which we now had the funds for.
On October 01, the house was ready for Moselentja to move in. She is so happy to have a place of her own. It is tiny, the size of a bedroom in Canada, 12' x 10.5', but it is hers and her family's. She shared how they all snuggle together in their bed and chat happily, together, before drifting off to sleep.

Moselentja and her brothers and sister in front of their new home.
(With a little visitor in the corner.)
Then another blessing. Students at Wendy's school need to do service hours. So for three days we had five of them, under Ntate Kuena's supervision. They cleared stones and debris, and needed to wield a pick axe to dig into the baked, hard packed ground. As with any group of volunteers, Ntate Kuena's assessment was that two worked very hard, two did some work, and the fifth student's role was to entertain the others with her non stop chatting. Nonetheless, today, waiting for the rains and a few seeds, are three little Lesotho garden beds that would have taken Moselentja untold days to develop.
Thank-you to those who have prayed for this project, and others who supported it. The water installation fees have been paid and now it will be waiting for a couple of months for the installation. And there are a few funds remaining to add another one or two more touches to the inside of of the house.
Ho haha. It was a lot of work and a learning curve for me. My pencil is not as sharp as the Australian woman who provided the plans and materials list. Nonetheless, amidst the struggles and challenges I referenced in my last entry, it has been a joy to seen Moselentja in her own home.
Jehovah-jireh; the LORD Will Provide.
~ Benno ~
No comments:
Post a Comment