January. A New Year is here, with all the opportunities it may offer. As well, it is a time of reflection as I consider the year that is past. As I reflect on the past year, I have been again reminded that God is at work. In the midst of my frustration and disappointment last year it was easy to lose sight of God’s hand at work. But today, looking back I need to be grateful. Things certainly are not perfect with the girls involved with the Mustard Seed, but God is at work in lives and I need to accept that as with me, God is not yet finished with others either.
The school year ended in late November. Amidst some disappointment, there were some glowing successes. I have shared Moselentja’s story and how her focus had shifted from just surviving each day to having a hope for her future. I will share a couple of other stories, and in sharing them I do not want to pretend that everything is perfect in these girls lives, but I suppose that the transformation God brings to our lives does not happen overnight.
We have had our first girl complete her high school education. Two years ago she was a new single mom who through determination and effort had completed her tenth grade. However now, with a child, she had little hope of proceeding any further. With help with formula costs and child care costs this young woman was able to return to school. Today, two years later, she is the first Mustard Seed participant to write her final year exams. Now we are awaiting the release of the exam results to learn how well she has done, and to begin to plan with her how to support her her next steps.
Another girl, whom many doubted and who certainly was a cause of concern, completed her school year with “merit” marks, meaning her average in her best five subjects (of eight) was above 80%. This was after a somewhat tumultuous year when she struggled with peer pressure and making wise choices. I want to believe that it was God’s grace and the support of the Mustard Seed and others during those difficult times, that enabled her to recover her way and achieve the success she did. I enjoyed being at her school recently in preparation for the new school term and watching her interaction with her teachers. All her teachers I met were supportive and encouraging and ‘on her side’, believing in her and expecting the best of her. With support like that and God’s grace, I can be optimistic that life can only continue to get better for her.
Apart from school, last year we held a four day workshop for the girls that focused on self concept, God’s concept, and making wise choices relating to sex and relationships. When I learned of some of the participants’ behaviours subsequent to that ‘Cherish’ workshop, especially that one was pregnant, I was so discouraged. Yet, when I take the time to listen and watch, I am learning that the workshop has had an impact. A couple of the girls have shared with our staff member how much they valued the Cherish workshop. For one, faced with pressures from boys, it provided her a foundation from which to make better and wiser decisions. Additionally she had a framework from which to openly and frankly discuss with her caregiver and our staff member the challenges she was facing and to seek their support. Another, there, by her bed for easy access, in her one room house was her ‘Cherish’ manual. The workshop was not in vain. Again I was reminded that God is at work, I just need to appreciate His timing and His pace may be different than what I am expecting.
Now 2011 is here and I am looking forward to what the year might bring. I am encouraged by the financial support that came in late in 2010. The Mustard Seed will be starting 2011 from a position of strength relating to finances. If the need were to arise we almost have enough extra to build a house, though I need to await what God, and one of our board members, have in mind. One of our founding board members, a woman passionate about the needs of girl orphans, will shortly be returning from her village, allegedly with enough new applications to nearly double the number of girls we might serve in 2011. Wow! One of our goals as an organization was to provide supports to girl orphans in villages where supports were limited, and with the enthusiasm and dedication of our members, it looks like the time has come to take our services on the three hour road trip to the little village of Ha Tsokotsa. Maybe I had best not be contemplating another house quite yet, but I do need to trust that God will continue to provide whatever it is that we will need in 2011.
On another note, there may be some of you wondering why the focus on girl orphans and not orphans in general. Below are a number of links that talk about the powerful and positive impact enabled women have on their communities. Simply put, girls are a better investment when seeking to help a community move forward. (A special thanks to Shirley for connecting me with the ‘in your face’ Girl Effect website.)
~ Benno ~
No comments:
Post a Comment