Monday, 21 February 2011

Tapestries

God creates masterpieces. Barb dropped in yesterday. She was excited. Puleng had talked. Something had happened in Puleng’s life that she wanted to share with Barb and for the first time Puleng initiated a conversation with Barb - in English, no less.

I met Barb shortly after we arrived in Lesotho. I needed to check some info and was given her name. Barb is one of the driving forces behind another project that provides opportunity to orphans here in Lesotho. We have stayed in touch. Our paths cross. One family the Mustard Seed has been working with is also connected to the project Barb is part of.

In a previous entry I mentioned the girl who was severely injured when part of a building collapsed resulting in the girl losing the lower part of one leg. This girl, Puleng, is one that Barb works with. It was Barb, with a bit of direction from us at the Mustard Seed, who was able to pull together the documents needed to apply for the school bursary on Puleng’s behalf. And it was God who worked a small miracle so that Puleng was approved for the bursary as an exceptional situation even after all the funds for orphans had apparently been spent. Now, we at the Mustard Seed have added Puleng to our list of participants and will be providing her with other supports. One such other support was to invite Puleng to be part of a group, Cherish, where we bring our girls together every second month to encourage and support each other. The first meeting for this year was held on Saturday, Feb. 19, and Puleng was there.

It is often hard to know how things impact someone here in Leostho. Language is a barrier. For a Mosotho, even one who speaks fairly good English, putting abstract thoughts into English can be difficult. Barb noted how her conversations with Puleng were not easy. Barb even wondered whether Puleng could understand much English at all, much less speak in English. Their times together was mostly Barb doing a bit of talking. The day after Puleng attended Cherish was different.

The first opportunity Puleng had alone with Barb after the Cherish day, Puleng initiated a conversation - in English! Barb listened amazed. The quiet, subdued girl she had know, was excitedly talking, relating to Barb her experience being part of the Cherish group. I wasn’t at the Cherish event other than to take a few pictures at the end of the day, so I can’t say what went on, but Puleng had experienced something special for her. Barb mentioned that part of Puleng’s excitement was that she came away with a sense of belonging and of being accepted in a larger group.

Someone has said that we see what we look for. Maybe that can be said of me, but what I see in this situation is an orchestration; people and circumstances brought together resulting in a young girl given new hope and encouragement, and a volunteer saying that Puleng, initiating a conversation, has been an encouragement to carry. I see a God who cares about his children, who brings people and circumstances together to hearten and encourage and uphold them. I am also reminded that it is not for me to question why, but to faithfully carry on with what I understand God is asking of me. He is the master designer and he is working all things together for good.

I know the days ahead of me will include difficult situations and circumstances. I know how easy it is in such times for me to question and doubt. During those coming difficult days, I hope I will remember the little masterpiece God created in the last few days, and just trust that He is working on another.


Puleng and the Cherish girls.

This tapestry is not finished either. Wendy has a past student who is trying to understand God’s direction for her in terms of a career. A student who just so happens to be tutoring some of the Mustard Seed girls in Maths, and happens to know Puleng. Through the connection with Barb, Wendy has learned that there is, in fact, a physio and occupational therapy unit at the Maseru Hospital - careers her student has been considering. So, in a couple of days this student will be visiting the physio and occupational therapy unit of the hospital with Barb and Puleng. Where this story will end or mesh with another ... , I guess that is all part of God's greater story.

~ Benno ~

No comments: