Monday, 7 March 2011

Do you believe we can speak our realities into being?

Yes and no, I think. I'm not sure. Of course, people's lives have mitigating circumstances--bad things do happen to good people. On another level, however, part of me believes that, yes, out ATTITUDE can predict our outcome. No doubt. Attitude is so important.

Take, for instance, one of my former students... She's sitting out of university this year because the government here has dramatically reduced funding and she just didn't get admission into a program that the government would fund. It was devastating, there is no doubt, but dear Moholi is a very resilient gal. She is tough (and yet so sweet). Nothing is going to stop that gal. She is exploring every possible angle. She is doing so much to help bring her future into being. She wants to be a doctor but maybe she'll not make the very small quota granted to Lesotho citizens into South African universities, so what is she doing? Checking for every possible overseas scholarship into medicine, talking to people in various related health professions and getting advice and encouragement from them. She's also keeping connected with fellow students. She's staying positive and proactive. She's speaking her future into being, I think.

Yesterday Benno, Moholi, another student, and I went to track down a student with whom I'd lost touch. I have been very worried about him. He also did not get university admission this year. I've watched him fall apart over past disappointments and I was just so worried that he'd be wallowing in depression. I couldn't get in touch by phone so the only option was to go track him down out in the rurals ... We found him and, hey, once again I am chastised for being a worrier and not believing in the inherent strength of my wonderful students. He too is a survivor. He's working at a school and has done the research and is working on a Plan B to get into a related health profession. He'll apply again this coming year. I hope it works. He'll be great.

These are examples of two young people who are choosing to stay positive and I am sure their futures will BE positive.

On the other hand, it seems that we can speak our negative realities into being too. I just heard a story about another young gal--not one of my students--who is obviously struggling with what she believes about herself. She has been caught, on numerous occasions, stealing. Why, I wonder? There is so much more to LOSE than to gain by what she is doing. I can't help but wonder what she is speaking into herself. "I'm not worth it?" "I have no future, so I might as well ..." I don't know, but she is certainly forming a very negative reality for herself. Her sister and brother-in-law just don't know what to do with her and will probably send her back to the village. What future will she have there? Probably not a good one ...

Then there's another young gal who has done very poorly in school and has struggled. She's just had her second child which has placed a huge huge burden on her orphaned family. What messages has she given herself? "I'm not worth it..." I wonder... When people have asked her about her future plans, she has absolutely no answer. What is she speaking into her life? Nothing.

Sometimes I even find it hard to stay positive here when I see the tremendous challenges people face. How can one keep speaking positive messages to themselves? But then again, I just finished reading a book by Kevin Connolly entitled Double Take. Wow! That's one inspiring guy. You know, he has a few challenges in life--maybe even more than a lot of people here. But as I read through his story I was just struck with how positive and empowered he seems. As I read, I don't get the impression of some guy who's sitting around feeling sorry that he was born with no legs. Instead I read the words of a very bright, funny, thoughtful and courageous--very courageous--young man who has way more ABILITIES than disabling conditions.

So, yes, people here do have lots of disabling conditions--lots of reasons to explain why they can't succeed in life--but I'm changing my view. I'm choosing to consider Moholi and Moshoeshoe and Kevin Connolly and say that we can remain positive and speak our POSITIVE realities into being. The other thing that I am really reminded of is that WE can encourage people to speak positive things into their lives too. The thing is that the people around Kevin Connolly, and then he, himself, have obviously spoken positive messages into his life. No wonder he's succeeded.

So what am I saying in all of this? I think the BIG idea is that our WORDS have tremendous, tremendous power to influence--to influence others and ourselves. As we speak positive things to others, we can empower them and encourage them to feel that way about themselves. We also are wise to speak positive things into our own lives--to dwell on the positive--and chances are, that's what we will get.

- Wendy -

1 comment:

nspeacock said...

Those are wonderful stories; thank you.

If we were to step back into the Old Testament, away from our modern secular notions and worldview, I suspect we would see a refreshing view of the words we speak into ourselves and into others.

They attributed massive importance and real influence to them.

Think of Jacob, conniving for his father's blessing (only words spoken, what are those worth?), or Shimei, rabidly cursing David (Sticks and stones, right?). Speaking positive words *is* blessing, and speaking negative words *is* cursing. Blessing and cursing were real things to people back then.

I think more important than being positive is to be truthful, that is, to speak into ourselves the words that God himself speaks. (Even better, we can ask and listen,and God will speak into us directly)

But that's a trick statement, because God is relentlessly positive. Even his admonishment and rebuke is positive, moving us towards good and away from suffering.