Wendy has felt a need to reconnect with our lives in Canada. We made this decision back in February 2012, when Wendy officially confirmed that she would not be returning to her teaching position at Machabeng College. Since then another event has come up. One of our sons is getting married in October, so Wendy's sense for reconnecting with our lives in Canada took on a greater urgency and we moved up our departure from Lesotho by a couple of months. We are now in the final throes of packing up, wrapping up, and saying good-byes.
Like when we left Canada, we are packing up things - some to send home, much to disperse amoungst our friends here, and a few things we are storing here. While we are returning 'home' to Canada, I still have not let go of Lesotho, and we hope to visit a couple of times next year. So we will be leaving a few things here for when we return.
Wrapping up for me has meant passing on history and contacts and experiences to our recently hired Mosotho staff member at the Mustard Seed. Her learning curve has been steeper than planned as a result of moving up our departure date by two months. Part of the training has included using Skype and g-mail chat so that I can continue to keep in touch and support her and the Mustard Seed from Canada.
Saying good-byes has been an ongoing process it seems, especially for Wendy. Saying her goodbyes at school, and then to past students heading off to university in places as diverse as South Africa, Zimbabwe, and China. On Saturday (09 Sept.) we were in Bloemfontein and had opportunity to say further goodbyes to two of her former students attending university there.
With only days left we are now saying final goodbyes to our friends and acquaintances here in Lesotho. It has been, and is, difficult saying goodbye to so many we have met, and for me especially, those I have met through the Mustard Seed. I will miss being here to rejoice with the girls and the board in their successes and achievements and to encourage them in their disappointments.
It was a privilege to be here for the Mustard Seed's Annual General Meeting last week end. It was another opportunity to witness the growth in the organization and its leaders. I am now looking forward to the coming weekend and being part of the launch of our Jewels of Hope program. We will be welcoming another seventeen girls into the Mustard Seed, bringing the total number of girls served to thirty four. I am already looking forward to returning in 2013 to see and witness how things will have developed both in our School Support program and the Jewels of Hope program. The Jewels of Hope girls will be producing jewelry and we will be able to bring samples back to Canada, and for our school girls I will be hoping to see most, in not all, having progressed to their next grade level.
For me, "letting go" is more than letting go of being a daily part of the Mustard Seed and the lives of so many here in Lesotho. "Letting go" is also meaning, letting go of my/our future. At this time Wendy and I have no clear idea of what and where our future will take us. In the short term we know we are returning to Central Alberta and we already have some leads on places to rent and maybe even a vehicle to buy. We are trusting God to continue to prepare the way, and wish to say thank-you to those of you who have been praying for us in these regards. But, at the moment, all we are clear about is that we will be returning to central Alberta until a return trip to Lesotho that we have planned for early in 2013. Beyond that our future will unfold step by step. A step by step that may include being back in Lesotho at some future date.
When I first came to Lesotho and Beautiful Gate in 2007, I was expecting to be involved in developing and supporting small income generating initiatives. However, situations and circumstances were such that my contributions, at both Beautiful Gate and now at the Mustard Seed, have been in the area of organizational development and administration. Now I am wondering if God may be leading me back in the direction of economic development, possibly on a scale that I feel totally unqualified for - a scale that would develop revenue streams that would ensure local, sustainable funding for the programs of the Mustard Seed. If this is to be my future, or something else, I am trusting that God will step by step, affirm and confirm his plans and future direction for Wendy and me.
Those of you wont to pray, I would covet your prayers for Wendy and I, that we might understand God's plans and directions. Those of you who have financially supported the Mustard Seed, I again wish to say how grateful and humbled I am by your part in supporting the work of this small organization. If you find it in your thoughts to continue supporting the Mustard Seed financially, you would continue to made a difference for the girls that we serve.
We are looking forward to seeing many of you upon our arrival back in Canada, and hearing from others. While saying good-byes and letting go of our involvements of the last five years, I look forward with anticipation to where God will lead us in the weeks and months and years ahead.
Step by Step.
~ Benno ~
No comments:
Post a Comment