Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Bloemfontein Field Trip

The Lonely Planet guide has this to say about Bloemfontein,"There’s no real reason to go out of your way to visit Bloem, although it has a few interesting sights if you are in the neighbourhood.
Okay, not the greatest endorsement of a destination.  But our budget was limited, and I guess for us, Bloemfontein is "in the neighbourhood".  So while yet in Canada I had been pulling the pieces together of a field trip for four Mustard Seed girls who had done especially well in school the previous school year.

With the internet, the world truly is a smaller place, and the big pieces for the trip were mostly in place.  Unfortunately, one thing that had not gone well at the Mustard Seed was following the steps needed to apply for passports.  The best laid policies and procedures had not been enough for those entrusted with this task, and it appeared that all might be for naught.   With the whole trip seemingly imperilled our staff member asked for one more day to get things right, and with commitment and effort from the girls' caregivers they pulled it off.  We got the paperwork in, passport photos taken, the girls into the passport office and with a couple days to spare we had their passports.  I was again humbled as I witnesses the joy and delight of the girls to gain possession of this important document which opens doors and opportunities for them.

For me the trip began with with our stop at the National Museum, but for the girls it had started the moment we had crossed the border into South Africa.  Travel, something I take for granted, - a whole world of new experiene for them.  I worried that the girls might find the museum a bit boring but they pored over exhibits and were even taking notes regarding exhibits that related to topics they were studying in school.
Taking notes.
After the museum we made our way to our accommodation where the girls chaperone took charge.  They got unpacked and settled.  Then in very un-Basotho fashion they were into the pool of reasonably clear water, while I was off for a nap.  
Most Basotho fear water, not these girls.
The highlight of the trip for me, and for most of them I think, came late in the afternoon when we headed out to Boyden Observatory.  There we were shown around the site, were given information about the telescopes, and then, as the first stars came out, we took terms viewing the moon and then Jupiter though one of the telescopes.  Not only did we see Jupiter with its bands and great red spot, we could see actually see Jupitor's moons.  We topped off the night gazing into the darkened night, as our guide pointed out the constellations and stars of the southern sky.

One eye to the evening sky.
The next day observing and petting servals, cheetahs, and young leopards was okay, but it lacked the wonder of the previous evening's night sky.  
A meeting with the African serval.
The finale was a stop at the University of the Free State (UFS).  After a picnic lunch, one of Wendy's former students, now a medical student there, provided a tour of the campus.  It is my hope that maybe one or two of the girls might be inspired, and aspire to one day attending university also.  
The girls at UFS with their guide and chaperone.
~ Benno ~

  =================================
An "aside" that was part of my trip:  

I was out walking at one point during our time in Bloemfontien, and came across a beer container.  Beer from a cardboard carton?  I imagined it must be an inexpensive, low quality ale targeted to less then well healed customers.  The public service announcement on the side of the carton appears to confirm my thoughts.   





No comments: