Wednesday, 19 September 2007

It's Not Canada, but ...

I know I’m not in Canada when the container of yogurt I got this week tastes different and is a different consistency than the same brand and variety I had last week. But then again, I can still get some pretty good yogurt here.

I know I’m not in Canada when on the grocery shelves there is pumpkin in varying shapes and sizes or even peeled and packaged, … every week. But you know, pumpkin as a vegetable, actually tastes pretty good.

I know I’m not in Canada when everywhere I look there seems to be garbage lying about. But, what if in Canada there was no municipal garbage pick-up, and I had no vehicle. I would not likely catch a taxi with my bags of garbage in hand and held for the dump across the city. No, my garbage would likely end up in a pit dug in the yard, or carried to a nearby ravine, or maybe just burnt in an open place with the cans and bottles ending up scattered about. (We are fortunate to have garbage pick-up in our part of town.)

I know I’m not in Canada, or at least not in Alberta, when every day the weather is basically the same as the day before. But really, maybe not experiencing three or four seasons in a single week (or day) isn’t a bad thing.

I know I’m not in Canada, or at least a Canadian city, when the crowing of the neighbors’ roosters is part of each morning. But it is rather fun for an old farm boy, living in a city, to awaken and hear a rooster crowing.

I know I’m not in Canada when I find myself stopped, in my car, at an intersection, waiting for a herd of cows to cross, before continuing onto a main city road. But, on a related note, road rage doesn’t seem to be as big an issue here. I do admit though, that one needs to be a defensive driver if just to be on the look out for the taxi drivers.

I know I’m not in Canada when I fine myself muttering that I wish the laughing doves would shut it down for a moment. But on second thought, it is a much nicer sound than the squawking of a magpie or cawing of a crow.

I know I am not in Canada, or at least not Alberta, when I hear folks say, “Ah, but it is a dry heat”, rather than “Ah, but it is a dry cold.” And you know, they may have a point. For the last while it has regularly been in the high 20C’s yet it has not been unbearable for this guy who thinks that 24C is hot, hot.

It’s not Canada, but … the first two months here have been quite enjoyable. I know I still have almost two years, but thus far it has been quite all right.

~ Benno ~

(If you are a bit bored and are looking for some more reading there is some interesting stuff on our son Dylan’s blog site. A few entries back he and a mob of kids were terrorizing their neighborhood with "di-hydrogen oxide". It is a fun read.)

No comments: