Saturday, 29 September 2007

Down and Up

A week ago I was feeling down. It was no surprise. My reading and preparation for coming to Lesotho predicted that such times would occur. But, it was interesting that the catalyst for my feeling down was the blessing of the tonne of food.

The tonne of food is creating some storage problems for us and that has annoyed some of my colleagues. So that was a bit of a discouragement. Then, my enthusiasm for utilizing the food in a possible community outreach was shot down by the team I am working directly with. That leadership team of Basotho women had a number of reasons why such an approach would create little more than headaches and besides, they noted, some of those we helped would just sell the food to buy beer. They also felt that our first responsibility needed to be to our own staff.
My aspirations of supporting a community outreach initiative to child headed or grandmother headed households had come crashing down.

The bit about the beer was the probably the most discouraging for me. It was a repetition of a theme I have oft’ heard since arriving; Basotho people denigrating other Basotho people. We are lazy. We can’t be trusted. We steal from and take advantage of one another. We would rather work for a white person than a Basotho person....

So I dragged myself home and had myself a little pity party. "What difference will I really make here?" Like every other international volunteer, I too will leave. Did I really expect that my opinions and ideas might count with or influence the Basotho staff? Why couldn’t I have a stronger team? Ones like those I enjoyed back at home, folks who made things happen. How can I believe in Basotho people’s potential if they don’t even believe in each other? This could be a long two years.

But the difference a week makes.

First, I said to myself that despite my discouragement I would respect the position of the Basotho staff regarding the food. Then I checked out how much Beautiful Gate really is able to pay its staff. That was a bit of a surprise. I knew it wasn’t a lot, but I learned it was less than I had imagined - not a lot more than the minimum wage of 650R per month. Now 650R, with the loonie soaring, is less than $100 Can, and even with the bit more that they receive, the majority of our staff are
only earning just over $100 Can per month. Yes, I thought, the team was correct, it was appropriate to support our own staff, rather than scatter the food to where it really will not make a significant difference.

Then, that same leadership team came through. They are making a difference and making things happen. At our Wednesday leadership team meeting there was energy around reviewing the previous week’s minutes (that didn’t often happen back home!!). As we came to each action item they eagerly related what they had done and the outcomes that had resulted. Their commitment and enthusiasm was infectious.

Then the end of the week brought a very significant challenge, but they pulled together and came up with a plan. Hey, there are some loose ends, but it's a plan, and they are making a difference.

So on Friday I came home from work and I said, “Ke thabo fela,” - I am full of contentment. It was a great day, and a great week. In a near future entry I will talk about the significant challenge that staff worked though. Be warned though that it will include an unabashed appeal, asking you to consider the needs of Beautiful Gate.

~ Benno ~

No comments: