Saturday, 27 October 2007

Mountain Majesty!

October 14-17 I was on school holidays, and what a fabulous time I had off pony trekking for four days. From beginning to end it was an experience of a lifetime. An Aussie friend, Nicole, who teaches at Machabeng’s sister school, Maseru Prep, along with three of her visitors from Australia, headed out…





Sunday: Pack up—bare essentials only, since we had a weight limit and that would include the food we were packing in. I did bring rain gear which happily was NOT needed.








The first night was spent at the Lodge—very civilized—with a great dinner and fun pre-dinner entertainment from a local choir and a “home-made instrument” jug band.















Monday: Loaded up the ponies and headed out for six hours of riding to Ha Ribeang village and my immersion into the rural life of Lesotho. Along the journey I soaked in vistas of undulating green crops, red earth, rock outcroppings and mountain peaks all juxtaposed against the bluest sky.




All along the way small villages were sprinkled across the landscape. As we passed through these, the small children would run out to greet us with, “Dummella Ma” or “Sweet? Bonbon?” This country is VERY inhabited! There are villages or single huts all along the way; and just when you think there is no one around, the figure of a solitary shepherd comes into view, with his herd of goats, sheep, or cattle. Spring is teeming with life in the ‘rurals’.


















THE RIDE! This was my initiation to pony trekking, and I figured I was “just going to DO IT” and not let any nagging fears (like Benno getting bucked off and spending four months in a torso brace, or my lack of experience with horses, or the stories about the steepness of the terrain) scare me off. Sure glad I did NOT let any of those things stop me! Equally glad I did not really know just what that terrain would be like, or I’d possibly have chickened out!

Not too long into the journey we hit the first steep downhill section and my horse balked, absolutely refusing to go so I got off and led her down, which was the start of a great relationship. After this act of consideration on my part I think she figured I was reasonably intelligent, although inexperienced,and FURTHERMORE evidentially kind, so after that she was very good to me.














In the process of the trek I gained an HUGE, HUGE respect for these small but very rugged animals. Wow! The vertical slopes these horses navigate! The elevation gain. Stairmaster indeed! The rocky terrain they pick their way through! The sheer rock faces they can climb or descend! (One sheer face I would not have done on foot, but my pony handled it with huge stamina and skill. Fortunately this was near the end of the trip and I had great confidence in my pony by then, so I just held on and thought, “Oh well, you only live once!”)

VILLAGE LIFE!
The villagers are most kind and hospitable and the children were happy for a rousing 'Round and Round the Garden...' or 'Ring around the Rosie'.






















Going to the village, I regretted our ignorance of some protocal. Apparently it IS most appropriate to bring a hospitality gift, and this lovely Ma
(Basotho Madonna and child, I'd say) requested clothing. As you can see, clothing or shoes would be appreciated. (Although lack of clothing on this small lad is typical--saves diaper use) Next time I will go prepared with some gifts for these folks who so kindly hosted us.




Arriving back at Malealea we had time to stop in at a local 'watering hole' to sample some home brew. Scarey tasting stuff! The hospitality, however, made it worthwhile. Upon arrival, the folks in this dark hut were a solemn and dignified crew; however, once Nicole started dancing Basotho-style, they got the message and were soon a gyrating, ululating, vibration of life!






The last and final stage, a ride home in a local taxi, was 'the icing'! The locals were quite impressed that we white people were on a taxi. In fact, through translation we learned that Agnes was absolutely thrilled. She'd had two taxis pass by without having room for her and when she got into ours, it just made her day--like the Fates had conspired on her behalf! Wow, I never expected to be a 'locals attraction'. The boom, boom, boom House music in the taxi; the friendly smiles; the very, very frequent 'ins-and-outs' of passengers; the stop to let the overflow of passengers sneak out before the police stop that had been signalled ahead; the crazy, crazy, chaotic ending at 'taxi central' in Maseru, weaving through the mass of taxis and crowds of people at the markets; and convincing our driver...well he'd exited so the assistant found us ANOTHER driver to deliver us and our luggage ALL the way home, all just polished off an FANTABULOUS trek.


















Lovin' Lesotho!

~ Wendy ~







No comments: