Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Rest and Rejuvenation

We are just back from a brief holiday away from Lesotho. It was a break I needed. For three months I had been covering 2, sometimes 3, roles at Beautiful Gate and I had been feeling a bit weary. At the end of each day I pretty well just sat and read some news or did something else that was not particularly creative nor mind challenging. But folks are returning to Beautiful Gate from their leaves and furloughs and when I return to work on 25 August, the pace and task should be less demanding. I will then have no excuses about lacking the energy to respond to e-mails or to compose a blog entry on a more regular basis. I am way behind in providing some updates on what is happening for me here in Lesotho.

Our holiday included a few days at the Indian Ocean. We stayed at a rustic but wonderful place where we pretty much had 4-5 kilometers of beautiful sandy beach shared only with a host of little crabs who would go scrambling down to the surf at the first sight of our silhouettes on their horizon.
Nothing but sand and ocean.
The location was a nature reserve with some friendly wildlife, and one day we took a 14 kilometer walk with the animals. The highlight from the walk was probably getting up close and personal with a number of giraffe who looked down on us with interest and curiosity.
A camp visitor
We also found time and places to explore, including some hiking in the mountains.
Just one of many sandstone overhangs, this one a large one.
That is Wendy at centre stage.

The landscapes here are so different from the Rockies and I am enjoying exploring in them. The sandstone landscapes offer generally easy hiking and many interesting shapes.
How does nature do that?
(The sandstone, that is ...)
The ancient lava flows have less intrigue, and are much tougher to reconnoiter. One thing I learned is that I may have to increase my level of physical activity as I am finding myself puffing more along the trail, and a bit more weary at the end of a day of hiking. Another change, maybe a reflection of age, is that I enjoy the challenge of route finding as much or more as reaching the goal.
A view from the top.
Dylan joined us for the last couple of days. It was good to catch up with him regarding his trip home, and to also do a couple of hikes with him.
Dylan hanging around under the largest
sandstone overhang in the Southern Hemisphere.
It is spring here, and the early flowers are out. We have peach blossoms in our yard, and also found many flowers along the paths and trails.
One of many flower pictures taken by Dylan.
At the risk of offending my Alberta friends, the last fall rose on our rose bush bloomed in mid-June, and the first peach blossoms were out the first or second day of August. Seven weeks of "winter"!!
A 'Zulu Straight Back' amidst the blossoms.
Wendy had her hair done up in an African style and received numerous compliments from many local women along the way. Her "Zulu Straight Back" style even had folks pointing from a distance, waving, and giving her the thumbs up sign.

We enjoyed many sights, including the elusive eland. The eland is a large herbivore about the size of an elk. We were able to capture the cow on film but the bull stayed out of sight for all but a few moments and then he was off and away.

Elund cow.
Another sight - gas is pricey here too, and some folks are downsizing.
Suicide doors!!

These two are vintage BMWs. The two tone in circa 1958.
They do have two wheels, tucked close
together, at the back.


It was just what I needed, a restful and rejuvenating time away.

Benno

2 comments:

Michelle said...

It sounds like you've both had a wonderful, rejuvenating vacation! Thats great to hear! Miss you both 'Haholo'!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Benno,

At an accommodation meeting the other day, Jack McKendry asked how you were doing and said to say hi! Trying to update Jack reminded me that I hadn’t checked your blog for many months. I too am on vacation today and as I slowly start my day with a few cups of coffee, I got completely caught up on your blog – I wasn’t planning on catching up all at once but I have to admit, I couldn’t stop reading. I was also very curious to read your observations after the first full year (end of June I think?). What a fantastic story you and Wendy are living! But more importantly, you both are truly making a difference in the lives of the people. I particularly enjoyed both of your comments about the cultural similarities and differences. Speaking of cultural differences, my daughter Laurel brought home a great movie the other night – End of the Spear – about missionaries in the mid 50’s making first contact with a fierce tribe in Ecuador. If you haven’t seen it, I would recommend it for one of your movie nights with the students. Speaking of Laurel, she just returned from a two week mission trip to the Philippines - Talaba, a slum on the outskirts of Manila - through her church, Bethany Baptist. She related many of the same observations you have seen in Lesotho, particularly the stark differences between the rich and poor. It was a life altering trip for her and further reinforced her goal to do more overseas development work when she finishes college in two years. I look forward to reading future postings (and will try to not get so far behind!).

Kevin