Sunday, 14 December 2008

Beautiful Gate

It is past time that I provided an update concerning Beautiful Gate. That after all is why I came to Lesotho.

As I reflect on the past year I am reminded of how quickly one forgets (or maybe it is just my 50+ year old mind that forgets). A year ago at Beautiful Gate we were struggling with no connection to the locate power grip; living with an off again, on again generator; having to haul in water and haul away waste water; and living with the mud when it rained. Then during the year there were more challenges - vehicles that always seemed in need of repair, and a critical shortage of funds during the middle of the year.

But God is faithful. Today, it is so easy to forget the tough times. Today at Beautiful Gate we only need to use the reliable replacement generator when the power is off; a turn of a valve and we have water; a pump quietly and efficiently moves our waste water into the municipal sewer system; we have enough of the grounds paved that we no longer need to wear rubber boots to work when it rains; and the bank account, it contains sufficient funds to meet our needs.

As I think back and reflect, it is remarkable how God has met each need. The water and sewer authority covered most of the costs of installing the sewer line, maybe as a gesture of good will after taking nearly a year to get the project started, but nonetheless. Our insurance company paid us a visit and provided funds for paving and for much of our portion of the cost of the sewer line. A church in California held a fundraiser and raised enough funds to buy a brand new van to transport staff comfortably and reliably, and another donor has just advised us they will send funds to cover the wages for half of our child care workers for the next year.

It is so easy to get caught up in the struggles of the moment. I need to look back more often and remember from whence God has brought us and to thank him for his grace and provision.

In addition, the city is paving the main road past Beautiful Gate. When this work is completed in the New Year, Beautiful Gate will be just a 10 minute drive from home rather than the 20 minute drive it is now. Yes, we will still have about 500 meters of really rough road in from the main road, but I can be thankful for the two kilometers less of rough gravel road.

The last six weeks have also been a reminder of why Beautiful Gate exists. We have had about six new babies arrive during this time. The latest was a newborn girl found wrapped in a blanket on the side of a road, only a day or so old. She survived, and is now doing well at Beautiful Gate. The little one found a few days later in a pit toilet didn’t survive. Where would these little ones go without places like. I have also been reminded of the wonderful care provided by the bo-me at Beautiful Gate.

Wendy and I have had to relocate. (It was sad to leave the beautiful house that has been home for the last 16 months.) I was off work for a week around the time of the move. At Beautiful Gate I try to learn and remember the babies names, but in the week I was away they grew so much that I was unable to recognize who was who amongst our littlest ones. Those bo-me sure do provide awesome care.

So of late it has been a time to reflect and remember. God has been reminding me to remember his provision, that he cares deeply for the work of Beautiful Gate. I am reminded to be grateful and to remember that Jesus still delights in little children.

Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Luke 18:16

~ Benno ~

(P.S. If you should be interested in reading more about Beautiful Gate, try these two links, Beautiful:Africa and Beautiful Gate Lesotho.)

No comments: