In mid-December we had some very hot days, and my Australian colleagues were singing “Its Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas”. Meanwhile, the heat had me longing for the nip of frost on my nose; that was until I read news from Canada about the pre-Christmas deep freeze. Then I was really conflicted. Too hot here but oh, so cold back home. (Hot for me is above 30C, which to many is a nice day, I know.)
Dylan visited us for Christmas and he too was looking for somewhere cooler, and with nowhere to escape the heat he resorted to improvising a pool by filling the wheelbarrow with water.
We were blessed to have Wendy’s sister, brother-in-law, and niece visit us over Christmas as well. Our plans with them included traveling from Lesotho to the Indian Ocean coast. Our first stop, in a place called Fouriesberg, was a welcome respite from the heat as due to the elevation the temperatures were 3-4 degrees cooler. We enjoyed some great hiking, and for Dylan every pool of water was an opportunity for a swim.
At the coast, I thought we were again blessed, as most of our time there was overcast which kept the temperatures cooler than the normal high 30s C. We kept a relaxed pace spending a day at a game part and a couple at the ocean … more water for Dylan.
Back in Lesotho, it is January, and we have continued to have hot weather. But I need to learn to enjoy it, for as Wendy pointed out it is just a matter of months until winter in Lesotho, with beautiful warm days, cool nights, but having to bundle up when inside.
And this is a significant period for Wendy and I. Our two year commitment here is rapidly coming to an end, and the question is, “What next?” It is a question for which the next few weeks will bring some answers. But for now we continue to be busy and life is full.
~ Benno ~










No comments:
Post a Comment