Monday, 1 March 2010

Why?

A few weeks back I was reminded of ‘why’? Why am I here in Lesotho? Why am I doing what I am, muddling along, trying to contribute to a little effort (the Mustard Seed) to make things better for girl orphans here in Lesotho? ... Why?


One of the young women our little effort supports happened to drop by. Two years ago she was pregnant, had had to quite school as a result, was discouraged and had withdrawn from those around her. This day, two years later, she showed up, unannounced, in her bright red school sweater.


We talked about how school was going for her. She talked about what she was doing, and then she talked about her dreams. With a grin and a bright smile she said she hoped to become a nurse. She has a dream. And that is so much what we are about, why I am here, to offer hope, encouragement, and opportunity – to give girls a chance to dream of a future.


But she has more than a dream, she has a plan, and what she was particularly wanting this day was to know whether the Mustard Seed had yet been able to organize tutoring opportunities. She knows what she needs and wants to help her pursue her dream.


Her dream, her plan, her infectious smile and enthusiasm; they remind me 'why'.


~ Benno ~

No comments: