Thursday, 1 April 2010

Buns and bribery

Ever done something you THOUGHT was good, only to find you were totally misunderstood?

Well, this is an old story, but one I’d like to share, just to give balance to the last entry. See, that’s the thing here. Life just goes on. We see and feel the tragedies and also the joys. We weep with those who weep and laugh with those who have cause for happiness. We celebrate life in ALL of its fullness—each aspect…

Coming back from Raphalane’s village a while back we were stopped at road construction. It was a hot day…

I’ve just pulled out some fresh buns I’d made and am enjoying the taste... Hmm. That poor flag fellow, out there in the hot sun. He’s probably hungry. Why don’t I offer him a bun?

Without hesitating I jump out of the truck and head over, hands outstretched with my offering.

He begins to speak—fast—in Sesotho. All I can get is that, no, we can’t get through on the road. There is traffic coming from the other direction, and, no, he does not seem to want a bun.

Well, I’m feeling abashed and slightly affronted. I make good buns! But, hey…whatever. I raise my eyebrows, shrug my shoulders and head back to the truck, head down and shaking side to side, bewildered.

When I get back to the truck, a young man from the vehicle waiting behind us grins and says he’ll take a bun. I give him one…

Back in the truck, I express my surprise and effrontery. Rap’s sister, ‘M’e Seabi and Benno just listen. Benno begins to chuckle and shake his head. ‘M’e Seabi is too gracious. Then Benno fills me in...in one of those 'Really, how could you be that naive tones'. The gist of his comments:

“Do you realize you just offered the guy a bribe and that is why he refused?”

Me: “What? No. Seriously!”

Oh, seriously! So much for good hearted me and my BEST intentions! Talk about being totally misunderstood. Just goes to show how operating in a different cultural context can cause lots of…interesting…experiences!

No comments: