Saturday, 21 July 2007

Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, the bustling capital of Malaysia. Architecture from the British colonial period and shiny new concrete, steel and glass structures. I saw more construction cranes working on high rises here than one sees in Calgary.

In Kuala Lumpur, I also came to appreciate what travelers have said about heat and humidity. Stepping outside of an air conditioned building of vehicle was like stepping into a sauna. It was an experience.

I am also having an experience trying to get pictures to download to the blog like I want. Some others I thought to load will have to wait while I figure things out.

In addition, our brief 13 hour stop in Kuala Lumpur was an opportunity to learn, to experience again what it means to engage with others cross culturally.

When in Africa last year I remember my frustration at now knowing. Not knowing how to interact, not knowing what is expected - little things like when to tip, when not to tip, even when or how to ask for something different than what was offered. In those 13 short hours in Kuala Lumpur I began to again experience those frustrations, so it was a great reminder that I will need to go slow and be patient when I get to Lesotho.

~ Benno ~

No comments: