Sunday, 26 August 2007

Blankets

Blankets...

Here are a few pictures from one day's stroll, and they by no means capture the full variety of blankets seen as one travels about. If you want more
history and background on the blanket just click here, Basotho Blanket .



A couple of guys more than willing to have their photo taken.




This old woman was sitting in the sun warming herself. I was able to ask her daughter if I could take the picture. Earlier I had tried to speak with an old man similarily sitting in the sun. Both appeared to have cataracts, their eyes were cloudy. But they both seemed to find comfort in their blankets.

Women who have not borne a child are expected to wear their blanket around the waist to keep their womb warm. Once they are mothers, they may wear their blanket around their shoulders. This woman just looked to be wanting to keep warm.










On her back, under her blanket, this young woman is carrying her baby. In the Basotho culture women carry their babies on their backs.







I was following this woman in her brightly coloured blanket. As I overtook her her cell phone rang. After her call I asked her if I could take her photo, and she posed with her phone to her ear.

Then just up the road were a number of folks in similar blankets. They asked that I take a group photo. The woman and the others were part of a group who performed cultural dance and song. They were gathering to attend a rehearsal was the best I could understand.




The apparent manager of the group indicated that they would like to receive a picture. I have access to a colour printer and returned to the house later with a couple of pictures. A few of the group were there when I returned. Wow, were they ever excited to see the first picture. When they saw the second picture I was almost drowned in their hugs and their excitement. I was again reminded of how little these folks have, and how delighted they are with such simple things.


These were a couple of other women in blankets who agreed to be photographed. The young guy also wanted into the photo. I was able to return with a colour print for them as well, and again what excitement. I left the photo at the home of the woman in brown and the boy. After I left I looked back to see the boy racing off to show the picture to the second woman.



I wanted to add this woman's blue blanket to my photo collection and she obligingly posed for me. I showed her friends and her the picture on the back to the camera and that had them excited. I didn't find out where this lady lives so I was not able to give her a picture to say thanks, but I took the picture along the road I walk to work down, so I might just see her yet again.





And of course another opportunity to add a picture of a herdsboy. His blanket is pretty drap, but some of the boys have more brightly decorated ones.

Blankets ...

~ Benno ~

No comments: