Sunday, 5 August 2007

Contrasts

Friday, August 3rd. I (Wendy) headed to Bloemfontein with three others: Allan, the construction foreman from Beautiful Gate (BG), Gerdine, the preschool coordinator from BG, and Brad, a teacher from Maseru Prep. Allan needed to pick up supplies so very thoughtfully invited us along. ‘Twas quite a lovely day, starting with a relaxed breakfast at a restaurant on the Waterfront (restaurant food is GOOD and relatively inexpensive), then on to shopping (mostly book purchases) at Mimosa Mall, then to a lovely lunch at yet another restaurant back at the Waterfront…

Little did I know we’d be having lunch with the King of Lesotho! Okay, well, he WAS in the same restaurant, only a few tables away, and within easy snooping sight ☺. I never would have recognized him; after all he was the MOST dressed-down of his entourage, but Brad has been at a birthday party for one of the princesses (his daughter and the King’s oldest daughter are in the same class at Maseru Prep and when the princess has a party EVERYONE in the class and the community gets invited), and Brad works out at the same gym that the King does. Yep, that’s part of the beauty of Lesotho: for a country, it really is like a small town. Where else in the world could these types of things occur?

‘Twas most interesting to observe; his body guards, in their snazzy black suits or dress pants and black leather dress jackets, sat around at various other tables, while the King in his informal slacks and sweatshirt top sat with his guests. According to Brad, both the King and the Queen are very nice and do not act is if they are ABOVE the people. The King readily mixes at social occasions, and in fact, he did recognize and say hello to Brad, in passing yesterday. It is no wonder, and wise, I would say, when you live in a small and very, very poor country, to behave accordingly.

After all, many of the King’s subjects live a life of poverty and frustrations, like the border wait that literally hundreds of them, and I, had coming back into Lesotho last night. Yes, I discovered that it IS very unwise to try to get through the border on a Friday evening when many Basotho that work in the Republic of South Africa (RSA) come home for the weekend. Oh my, I was a full two hours getting through.

I, however, appreciated the chance to experience what many Bosotho experience OFTEN. How they deal with the frustration so patiently is amazing…or perhaps unfortunate. I had MUCH pause to think about justice and social action. What is the fine line between patient acceptance and positive social action? Needless to say, I was plotting a field trip with my students—just a day at the border crossing, interviewing various people…Mightn’t that be enlightening?

I was enlightened in many ways. It was interesting to stand in a line as long as my eye could see and be the ONLY white person. It was interesting to watch as the King’s entourage (three cars) went sailing through with sirens and flashing lights. It was interesting to chat with those in line around me, finding them at first rather cool and aloof, but warming to my good cheer ☺. In fact, one young woman who’d been rather reticent gave me a smile and a wave goodbye as I passed her upon leaving. It was interesting to visit with a young couple whose little son will celebrate his third birthday the same day I celebrate my 49th! It was interesting to finally get home, exhausted, and while luxuriating in a hot tub, wondering at how many of those in the long line would be going home to no running water and little to eat…

On the edge of my comfort zone, life here is very interesting!

Wendy

No comments: