No, I am not getting so bored that I am resorting to writing about the weather, but …
November is nigh upon us, and my brain is having problems. The calendar says late October, but it is not like any late October thus far in my experience. First, there is nothing to remotely remind me of Halloween, though a few Christmas things have gone up in some stores. And, then there is the weather. It is nearly November and there is nothing to suggest that winter and freezing temperatures are just around the corner, nor that frost or snow and imminent.
Rather, Sunday was as beautiful a day as I could imagine. A bright, but cool, morning with dew on the ground to start the day. A gentle breeze, warm temperatures but not too hot, and lots of sunshine during the afternoon. Then a pleasantly warm evening with the crickets and frogs chirping in the background to end the day. The garden is coming up, the grass needs cuttings, the roses are still blooming, and the pull to putter about the yard for most of Sunday afternoon was irresistible. Snow? Frost? Cold? It is almost November and such things are not even on the radar. I find it easier on my brain if I try not to think about what month it is. Rather, I am just enjoying each day as it comes.
Apparently October has been somewhat cooler and wetter than normal, which translates to high teens to mid twenties as highs, and that fits just perfectly for me. I am relishing each day, as the doomsayers are warning that the hot, hot days are just around the corner.
(Since I wrote that above few notes, the great weather just rolls on. There is no day light savings time here and I am a morning person. What that means is that at 5:30 the last few mornings I have been out wandering about the yard, just to take in the wonderful start to each day.)
Oh, and by the way. Did I mention that after being here for over three months, and despite the water lying about the last five weeks, I have yet to see a Lesotho mosquito. One more thing to relish while it lasts.
The next few days I am looking forward to. Tomorrow, November 01, I will be spending another day on the mountain. I am looking forward to it. I am covering a lead role at Beautiful Gate for the next four weeks and will be wanting God’s wisdom and strength so I don’t want to miss the day of solitude with God on the mountain.
Also, on Saturday I hope to head deeper into the mountains. I had mentioned my small time financier escapades in a recent entry. One of the perks of being a big (er, small) time financier is to invite myself to see first hand what my ‘clients’ are involved in. This weekend I will provide transportation to the fellow looking to fence in his pigs. We will be heading out with the fencing materials and seeing if we can complete the fencing job over the weekend. It will be an opportunity to experience rural Lesotho up close, spending a couple of days and a night in a small rural village. I plan to take pictures and intend to provide you with a blog update next week. I am most looking forward to the experience.
Until then,
~ Benno ~
2 comments:
we are really enjoying your blog and are definitely being challenged by your experiences. God bless you both. We think of you often.
you are in our prayers.
Thanks for the comment! Hey, when are you folks going to come visit us? ;-)
It would be wonderful!
Wendy
Post a Comment