Tuesday, 6 November 2007

IB1 Mountain Hike

Life is NOT just about the destination...

A recent trip with my IB1 Standard Level class brought us to the top of a local mountain to look down on the view below.


















In the process, we gained quite a different perspective on Maseru, and as the foreboding clouds attest, we had quite the adventure with rain, hail, lightning and booming thunder.
It was, however, more about the journey. I had a great time chatting and just getting the chance to be with these fine people in a non-conventional classroom setting.


















In the cleft of some amazing rock we rest...

















A solitary moment to reflect on the grandeur...




















Three Basotho warriors taking on the elements

















View of the Chinese garment factories in Ha Thetsane district of Maseru. They are massive. I don't think any of my students had seen the factories from this perspective. This provided some opportunity to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of foreign investment. The Chinese have invested a lot and provided a lot of jobs for people here, jobs that are essential in an economy with over 25% unemployment. The designer jeans of North America are CERTAINLY made on the low wages of factory workers here--approximately $100. Canadian a month. Unfortunately, there is NO VISIBLE EVIDENCE of Canadian financial support to Lesotho. (For my past English 20-2 students at HJ Cody, this may evoke memories of the poem "denim blues"!)

At the end of our trip, we listen to Ntate Edward relate his story about facing challenges (the guy in red). This Basotho man really inspires me to keep believing, trusting and maintaining a vision.

Thanks to my amazing IB students who made the journey with me. It was a memorable day!

By the way, if anyone knows of an English specialist teacher who would love to come and have the experience of a lifetime with some outstanding students, the school is in need of a teacher, preferably with IB experience. NO, you can't steal my great students, but the rest of them are just as wonderful.

~ Wendy ~

(P.S. Just in case you are wondering, I DID get permission to use the pics!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Benno,

Wow! I have been following your journey with much interest and awe. As I write and re-write this comment, I realize just how much I am truly at a loss for words. You and Wendy have clearly already made a difference and this will continue as you further God's work in the months remaining in your assignment. I look forward to future entries.

Kevin