Sunday, 17 February 2008

God is Good

In my last note I mentioned how we just can’t seem to out give God. I mentioned I would share some of the opportunities we have had to be a blessing to others here, blessings made possible through the generosity of family and friends. Let me start with Thabiso and his family.

Wendy has mentioned Thabiso before. He is the young man trying to complete school while ensuring his family is cared for. His family, as you may recall, consists of an elderly grandmother, two sisters, and a niece.

The Khasapane Family (Thabiso's family)

When Thabiso first came to our gate he was just one more needy person, with one more needy story, and one more request for some work. But there was a difference. Thabiso was from a child/grandparent headed household, the type of family I had hoped to work with.

We checked out Thabiso’s story as best we could, and Wendy asked, “Is this our ‘starfish’ family, the one God is asking us to make a difference for.” (If you are not familiar with Joel Barker’s starfish story, here is a link.) We were warned. If you start a relationship you will be perceived as a parent and anytime a need comes up you will be asked to help out.
Thabiso has a dream.
He wanted a photo of himself at my computer (taken by his sister).

But we have made a commitment and a relationship has started to form. What started with a few hours of piece work for
Thabiso around our yard, led to us helping them with their monthly shelter and water needs, then a bunk bed, some spending money for Christmas, first quarter school fees for the sisters, school uniforms, a calculator for Thabiso, and even a new lock for their door. (The older sister, now 18, was unable to attend school last year for lack of funds, less than $350Can.)

The Khasopane home.
It starts between the doors and ends where the roof line changes.
Home for five is a ten by ten room.

Yet I know I am getting more than I am giving. First, whenever we do something for this family (or others) it seems someone sends us some funds. Then, it is the developing relationship and knowing that we are making a difference that is so rewarding. We even had the family over for dinner one Sunday and we look forward to having them again some day. Wendy’s dream for this family is to secure for them their own house.

On another front, Wendy has kept you updated on her activities with her students. This weekend she is off with a group of them to South Africa where she is meeting Dylan for a couple of days of hiking, camping and maybe even some swimming. Yes, there is a cost to these activities too since her students don’t have resources. But I am sulking a bit about this latest trip. Wendy spent the last couple of days baking up a storm. She was even up at 3:00 a.m. the day she left, baking fresh muffins and cinnamon buns. I was up too, packing the van with her baking and all of the groceries she had purchased so she could be off by 4:30 a.m. At about 7:30 when I stumbled down for breakfast I was just a bit shocked to find a basically empty fridge. I guess she figured I would get by. I do look forward to hearing her stories when she gets back.

Another thing we are learning is that it takes so little to bring joy to someone. A digital camera, and a printer that prints photos allows us to bring so much excitement to people’s lives. For Christmas we gave some friends some pictures we had taken of them. They were delighted. It was the first pictures they had of their children and of themselves as a couple. For others it is laughter and shrieks of joy that mark the receipt of a picture as they run off to show their photo to others.

Last week it was something different. It was a family facing violence in the village where they lived. They needed to move, but they had no means. But I work with some such wonderful folks, and one of them helped locate a place near Beautiful Gate, and together we arranged to rent a small truck, then moved the woman (a staff member) and her family. Imagine all of your worldly possessions fitting into the box of a small pick up truck. For $30Can we were able to rent her a new place and move her. She was so appreciative. She insisted that the three of us who helped her move accept some hand made mugs, gifts from the few possessions she had. But it was fun to take her a small house-warming gift a couple of days later. Sometimes the smile on another’s face is all the reward one needs.

God is good.

~ Benno ~

No comments: