Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Lessons in Faith

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:9-11

Faith. Our friend Thabiso provided me with an example of faith the other day.

The older of Thabiso’s two sister’s was experiencing a medical issue that was causing her a lot of pain, and causing her to miss school weeks before her major exams start. On Sunday Thabiso had walked his sister to the public hospital for assessment and treatment. Walked meant about six kilometers each way. The treatment did nothing to alleviate her pain or her symptoms. So two days later Thabiso walks his sister, still in considerable pain, about 16 kilometers (one way) to a private hospital. He has no money to pay, but he is doing what he can for his sister.

The private hospital agreed to see the sister, and diagnosed a cyst (?) that had become infected. The hospital even agreed to operate late in the afternoon. Thabiso had other responsibilities and could not stay. He had to leave his sister. We live only 5-6 kilometers from the private hospital. Thabiso’s words to his sister before he left were that when her operation was over, she should walk to our house.

She arrived at about 7:00 p.m. She was in pain and she was exhausted, and she likely hadn’t eaten since breakfast. I marvel at how tough folks are here. She had walked close to 20 kilometres (closer to 35 counting her walk on Sunday) all the while in pain - just seeking diagnosis and relief for her medical need. And she needed to return to the hospital the next day for post-op follow-up.

We fed her. Then I drove with her to her home even though it made better sense to just have her spend the night with us, and take her back to the hospital the next day on my way to work. But this family has no phone, no way to contact them. So off we went. When we arrived I asked Thabiso is he would have worried if his sister had not returned that night. He simply said, “No.” Thabiso appeared almost unconcerned.

What an interesting picture I thought. Thabiso had done everything he was capable of doing for his sister. When there was nothing more he could do, he let go and committed her to us. He was confident in our concern and in our ability to take care of his sister’s needs, believing we would not let him nor her down.

What a lesson for me. When faced with a challenge bigger than me, oh how often I lay awake and fret and worry and stew. All the while I have a God, so much more reliable, so much more concerned, so much more able to respond than I, who Thabiso trusted. Oh that I might have the simple faith in my great and awesome God that Thabiso had in me. A faith that lets go, and lets God, when I am not able.

~ Benno ~

Post-Script: I did bring the sister back home with me. She went straight to bed and crashed. She rested well, for a change having a single bed all to herself, and the next morning she had likely her first ever bath in a tub with running water. She said she felt much better, and she looked much recovered from the night before. I dropped her off at the hospital, making sure she had enough money to take a taxi (public transport) back to her home.

No comments: