…the guys. I am indeed! The house feels so empty on the evenings when it’s just Benno and I. You see, over August we had a couple of my students staying here, looking after the house while we were on holidays, and then just staying on so they could use Internet and get some work done here in the city, close to the college instead of way out in the village as was the case for one of the fellows. It was like having our sons back home and I realized that I AM suffering from the empty nest syndrome when I’m not at school teaching. I miss the laughter, life and energy that young people bring to a home. Like I missed Annie and Michelle, so I am missing the guys. I loved teasing them, spoiling them, having some good chats with them and just getting to know them better.
Ah, but life goes on. We discovered that we will have to move from the house here, after all, since our landlady is moving in, so the next few months will bring lots of uncertainty then changes for us, so the guys went to boarding where they’d have some security. It would have been fun to have them stay, but I sure was blessed by their company for three weeks.
AND back at it!
Yes! I’ve just survived my first week back at school. The first day I felt so unprepared, like I’d just woken up in the middle of the night to discover that it was actually 8:00 a.m. and time to be at work. Then, on top of that scattered feeling it was announced on Monday morning that I was one of the teachers who would be on supervision duty all week long. Arggg! That meant no breaks from the beginning to the end of the day. What a week! You know, though, I survived, and it’s so good to be back. I DO love teaching. I do love my students. I do love interacting with them—bugging them, hassling them, teasing them, just sitting down and visiting with them, sharing ideas with them, challenging them… At points in my life I NEVER imagined that I’d feel this way—at times when I just wanted to quit teaching, but here I love it. My students are the greatest!
It’s good to be back.
No comments:
Post a Comment