One of my IB2 students, in her graduating year, is quite sick and will need to take the year off. It's tough, but she will get stronger and come back next year and do very well. She's bright and a very promising student.
Over the past weeks I've made a couple of trips to visit her, taking a couple of students along each time.
Earlier this week another of my IB students came to me…
“Some of the guys are thinking of going to visit Cec…”
“That’s a great idea. How are you thinking of getting there? Taxi?”
“We were thinking of the school mini-bus…”
“Hmmm…How many guys want to go?”
“Here’s a list. (10 names!) Mrs. Fath, could you ask Mr. Philip if we could use the bus?”
“Hmmm…and who will drive?”
“We were thinking you might, Mrs. Fath.” (Do they know me well, or what? ;-)
“Okay. I could do that. Have you checked with Cc’s mom; that’s a lot of you to come all at once? It might be a bit too many…”
So, I tried phoning Cc’s mom and could get no answer, but the guys did not give up. They got in touch with her, but by the time they did, it was too late to get the mini-bus, so four guys piled into my car and the other six went by taxi. We decided to see who would get there first and since I’m such a SLOW driver, bets were NOT on me!
It’s always fun driving with my students along. I love to tease them and enjoy their laughter. Today the guy in charge of the whole plan sat in the passenger seat across from me and was giggling away in anticipation.
“Eeish, you sound like a girl when you giggle!” He does! Deep, rich baritone when he talks, but when he laughs! Ah!
Then there was Pitso in the back whistling…”How DO you do that?” What talent, I say ;-)
Getting there, piling into Cc’s room, seeing her lovely smiles, and watching her and the guys just sitting around and chatting, chatting, chatting—the whole thing in Sesotho, of course! It was great. I was just basking in this act of kindness, concern and love that they would show for their classmate. It makes me realize what compassionate people they are, that they understand how hard it will be for her to be missing school.
I love my students ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment