I wrote this in Taipei, and had hoped to post in in Kuala Lumpur (KL). But, I am now in Johannesburg and have found a connection - technology is amazing.
Random thoughts from Taipei:
The last ten days have been a bit of a blur. Add the impact of modern air travel, and it all feels a bit surreal as I sit in a boarding lounge in Taipei, awaiting the continuation of a flight to Kuala Lumpur. Where do I start to sum up the past ten days? They were such a kaleidoscope of activity and emotion.
My Old Chev Truck: I will start again with my old 1989 truck. It was on a trip late last week out to the barn with some stuff that it hit me. This was one of my last trips in that battered old vehicle. In a week it would no longer be part of my life, and in the moment I first felt the magnitude of the journey, taken step by step, that I was embarked on. In a visceral way I realized that I was experiencing for the last time the world of Red Deer as I knew it. When I would return in two years it would be different, I would be different, and others (my friends and colleagues) would be different. For the first time, amidst all the busyness and preparation, I fully felt the emotional impact of what had been a cerebral decision.
Tired: Tuesday had been a challenging day. There was not a lot to do, but what needed to be done was the final closure of our life at 108 Pearson Crescent - the last vacuum of the rugs, packing the last of our life and our luggage, and locking the doors for the last time. As well there was the last visit to the little red barn with the last few things and the last visit to the lawyer regarding the sale of our home. And it was such a hot day. I was tired emotionally and physically.
Mothers: Mothers certainly can be prescient. At the last moment my mother decided to travel with us to the Calgary Airport. Meanwhile, qur oldest son, Jared, was to meet us at the airport in Calgary for our last goodbye, but he was delayed at his work, and then got caught up in Calgary traffic. We left without seeing him. But when we were able to call him, who was with him? My mother and our youngest, Byron. They had arranged to meet him away from the airport, and both my sons, especially Jared, had a familiar family figure to just be there at a difficult time. A few weeks ago I talked about sparrows. Here was God making sure that one more little detail was taken care of.
Rest: I don’t think I realized how tired I was with all the good-byes and packing. Once on the plane I slept much of the flight from Calgary to LA, and then there was the 12 hour flight to Taipei, 12 hours of night, and I dozed or slept for almost all of it. We have a 3-4 hour flight left to Kuala Lumpur where we will have a 13 hour lay over where the airline will put us up in a hotel. That too should be restful, and then another night flight to Johannesburg. I look forward to arriving more rested and relaxed that one would anticipate after 30+ hours of flying time.
Now, on to KL, and hopefully an opportunity to connect with the net and post this.
~ Benno ~
3 comments:
Yaahh! I kept checking your site wondering where in the world you two were. Glad to hear its been a restful journey. Although we never left children behind (tempting at times but thankfully not) I understand a lot of the surreal emotions of leaving life in Red Deer. Blessings, blessings, blessings to you! I can't wait to hear more.
Barb was over for a visit and I wanted to show her your blog, and voila, there was a new entry from you. We read it together and very much enjoyed the pictures your words painted for us. Our thoughts and prayers will never be far behind you. Love, Judy
Hi Benno and Wendy,
Barb just dropped by and it was neat that you had posted a new entry. She hadn't seen your blog page so we read the latest together. We both really enjoyed the pictures your descriptions conjured for us. Our thoughts and prayers go with you.
Love, Judy
Post a Comment