For this entry I will try to convey, with photos, a sense of the community we are part of here in Lesotho.
Coming to Lesotho and knowing it was a poor country, I expected most folks to live in similar circumstances. How near sighted of me. Like every country and society, Lesotho has those who have more and those with less. As one young man I met in a poorer part of town ruefully noted as we looked up the hill to where the nicer home were, “The rich get richer and the poor poorer.” Where ever one goes, it seems that economic disparity exists as surely as death and taxes.
Many of the brightly coloured homes are very large also.
Cinder block homes. What appears to be vacant land the children are heading down in the picture below is actually the street.
And more often than not, if you live in a cinder block home, water is something you carry home.

There is a part of Maseru (I did not take pictures) that is very poor. The homes there make the cinder block homes look good.
The "row house" below is made of rocks, and is a step up from the poorest part of town, but a step down from the cinder block homes. Each window likely represents someone's one room home.
On Sunday we went for a drive out into the surrounding country. There we saw very few coloured houses.
as in Maseru are spread out, not crammed together
like the shantytowns of Cape Town.
~ Benno~
2 comments:
I love the play by play account of your trip. My daughter Carmell received her acceptance to Muizenberg YWAM. She will be there Sep27. Her friend Laura whom you know will fly there Sep25. Pray for her paperwork to come together. So exciting for them both. Looking forward to more stories.
Lynda Smith
I love you guys! I had to say it. I'm blessed to have parents like you.
Post a Comment