Monday, August 13th. Today I had the opportunity to tour one VERY poor section of the city, the country's major public hospital: Queen E II. Whew…
This was one place I’d wanted to visit after hearing a short speech on YouTube by Stephen Lewis, the past UN Envoy for AIDS in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYI2__TYtzA
It was not quite like Stephen Lewis described the hospital he visited (perhaps it was a different one), with two patients to a bed—unless he was referring to the babies’ ward. Nor did I see any patients UNDER a bed; however, there were people everywhere; in fact, it was difficult at times to determine who was a patient and who was a visitor.
But first: upon entering the hospital grounds, my senses were confronted by the mounds of garbage piled around the big chimneys that looked to be a very ineffective incinerator system. Any diseases present would have ample opportunity to fester in this environment. As we entered the hospital buildings, the first ward was the TB ward. Isolation? Hardly—unless an open door classifies as isolation. The only indication that this was a highly contagious area was the face masks—inadequate by 'developed world' standards—worn by the nursing staff. Down at the end of the hallway and just around the corner was the Pediatric unit. There were about ten ancient wrought iron cribs, hosting one or two babies each, in an area approximately 12’ x 12’. Mothers were huddled beside most of these children so there was just room for us to walk through.
The emergency ward was equally crowded with people sitting on any available chair and space on the floor (other than a relatively narrow pathway). People waited, some rocking and groaning while others attempted to provide comfort. One older woman who looked to be in the last stages of life was in a rickety trolley pushed by two ward aides. Most others had looks of resignation on their faces. Compared to any Western standards, conditions were appalling and impossible to capture in words. You’d have had to breathe it…see it.
“If I worked in maternity here, there’s no doubt I’d have HIV in a matter of months.”
Not too far from QEII is the new Ministry of Health complex that is being constructed. In sharp contrast to QEII, it is huge and looks very modern. It will be MOST interesting to tour that building when it is complete just to see how much of a contrast it will be. I wish I could have taken pictures, but even just to get in the hospital without being asked to leave was somewhat surprising and I felt fortunate to have my curiosity at least partially satisfied.
Wendy
2 comments:
Hi... I just got to read your blog for the first time. Don't ask me why, but I just got your blog address yesterday (Ling forwarded it to me...).
What an adventure you two are having. Wendy I don't know you and you don't know me, but gauging by your words and your actions, I'd say that you're someone I would be honoured and lucky perhaps someday know...
Benno, my friend, I gotta tell you - I'm a little envious of you right now... You're a good man...
That's all I'll say for right now - I don't want to ramble on here... Just know that I'll be watching your blog with much interest...
Let me leave you with this quote by Lao Tzu from the Tao De Ching (one of my all time fave pieces of writing)...
"Cultivate harmony within yourself, and harmony becomes real;
Cultivate harmony within your family, and harmony becomes fertile;
Cultivate harmony within your community, and harmony becomes abundant;
Cultivate harmony within your culture, and harmony becomes enduring;
Cultivate harmony within the world, and harmony becomes ubiquitous.
Live with a person to understand that person;
Live with a family to understand that family;
Live with a community to understand that community;
Live with a culture to understand that culture;
Live with the world to understand the world.
How can I live with the world?
By accepting."
To me, it seems like a very fitting quote... I'll be in touch again...
Peace
Ken
Hi Ken,
I don't know you either ;-) but Benno seems to have figured out who you are. Thanks so much. Yes, indeed, the quote from Lao Tzu is MOST appropriate within this context in Lesotho. Yes, we need to "be with" people to truly seek to understand them. I DO struggle with the semantics...the word "accept" is a tough one for me. I DO NOT accept injustice or some of the practices I see here (or anywhere, for that matter) which are very harmful; but, I do need to seek to understand and from that understanding can then act appropriately.
Post a Comment