Tuesday, 21 August 2007

So, What Am I Doing ...

By now some of you may be wondering, "What is it he is doing or will be doing in Lesotho, anyways??"

When I had applied, it was to be involved in the community economic development initiatives that Beautiful Gate was looking to undertake. Beautiful Gate had received a sizable donation for community initiatives and the Director had wanted to get something underway to honor the intentions of the donors. I was to lead that initiative. But things change.

Upon arriving I joined an organization in a fair degree of organizational stress. I have mentioned previously that the organizational has experienced phenomenal growth. However, as so often can occur with growing organizations, the organizational structure has not kept up with the growth. The result is an organization experiencing stress, especially the Director, whom I described as an individual trying to fulfill two full time roles. As a result, within days of my arrival we made a decision to not proceed with the community development initiative at this time. The Director wisely recognized that he and the organization were just under too much pressure to consider another new initiative at this time. So, instead of community economic development, I will focus on organizational and leadership development at Beautiful Gate.

To relieve the stress on the Director, I will be assuming the role of interim or transition Program Director and will be responsible for the Residential Care, Educ-Care (Pre School) and Health Care programs. It is a role I am looking forward to with anticipation. In my four weeks of wandering about, helping where I could, I have met many amazingly capable people. Yes, they have been struggling with the growth and changes in their organization, but they have been doing a most remarkable job given the growing pains they have faced. In addition, they recognize the need for and are ready for change. I enjoy working with people - inviting them to believe in and embrace their strengths. As such I am looking forward to this role, and feel honored to be supporting the caliber of Basotho and volunteer staff that I have met at Beautiful Gate.

As a fresh pair of eyes, I think I have also been able to see organizational strengths and opportunities. Hence, in terms of organization and leadership development, my role will be largely to invite the staff to see and own their strengths, invite them to consider opportunities, and then support them with implementing changes and policies to build the growing organization they are part of.

I mentioned that my role will be interim or transitional. There is a most capable Masotho woman who has been a tower of strength for the organization during the past number of months. I believe she has been the glue that has held the programs together while the Operations Director was pulled away with the building project. My role really will be to work alongside her, learning with and supporting her as she prepares to fully assume the Program Director role sometime within the next 12-18 months. At the same time I will have opportunity to support the development of a number of other key staff. I truly look forward to working with all of these wonderful and capable individuals

There will certainly be challenges, too. Theories and practice from a Western culture may not translate to the culture I am now part of. And, I will need to resist the temptation to rely solely on my own experience and training. I will need to stay in touch with my God and to be seeking his wisdom as I work and contribute to the purpose of Beautiful Gate.

An aside about that purpose:
As I was wandering about the first couple of weeks, my sense was that Beautiful Gate Lesotho was about offering children hope and a future. I shared this thought with the Director and his wife, the founders of Beautiful Gate Lesotho. Little did I know that one of the Bible verses they had claimed to under gird their ministry was Jeremiah 29:11 - “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” It sort of gave me goose bumps when the wife shared that bit of information with me.

So a new purpose statement for Beautiful Gate Lesotho is emerging and will likely contain a phrase something like, "Beautiful Gate exists to offer the children of Lesotho hope and a future, both in this life and for eternity”.


~ Benno ~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

believe in people's strengths... believe in their goodness... and believe in yourself...

and know that everything you see is simply a reflection of you...

you're doing a great job, my friend...

ken

Anonymous said...

see the goodness in people... see the beauty of people... see the wonder of people...

and know that everything you see is simply a reflection of yourself...

those are my words of wisdom for you (not that you need them) :)

you're doing a great job, my friend...

ken

Unknown said...

so i haven't managed to stay informed with all your detailed posts, but wow it sounds incredibly rad and wow. can i come? =)
God Bless.
we're still looking for a place to live. so keep it in your prayers when you can!